Saturday, September 05, 2009

I Had A ‘Flare-Up’ With Rafael Benitez - Liverpool's Albert Riera

Liverpool winger Albert Riera has told Spanish publication AS of a bust-up he had with manager Rafael Benitez and confirmed his anger at failing to start the first three games of the season for the Merseysiders.

"I didn't play the first game because I started training late after the Confederations Cup, like [Pepe] Reina and [Fernando] Torres," he said. "I was angry and had a flare-up at Benitez, but the day I don't get angry for being a substitute I will retire."

After sitting out the defeat to Tottenham, Riera had to be satisfied with a late substitute appearance in the 4-0 win over Stoke City and he was an unused sub in the 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa. However, he earned a starting place in the 3-2 win over Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok last weekend.

Despite not featuring as often as he would have liked so far this season, Riera holds the Liverpool boss in high regard.

"Benitez is a special coach who defends his own. I know he is with me, because he said so," he added.

The former Espanyol man also said that missing out on Spain's Euro 2008 victory was difficult for him.

"It was very hard but I will work to get to the World Cup to compensate for it," he said.

No comments: