Friday, September 04, 2009

Daniel Ayala Determined To Earn More First-Team Chances With Liverpool

Liverpool starlet Daniel Ayala has spoken of his delight at breaking into the Reds’ first-team squad and is eager to get more playing time as soon as possible.

The 18-year-old Spaniard took full advantage of injuries to Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger and came on as a substitute in the opening game of the season against Tottenham Hotspur before starting at Anfield as Rafael Benitez’s men comfortably beat Stoke City 4-0.

Since then, Skrtel has returned and experienced Greece defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos was drafted in from AEK Athens for around £2 million, which means the former Sevilla youngster’s chances of further action in the short-term could be limited.

However, Ayala says he loved being a part of the first-team so much that he wants to keep up the pressure on his more established team-mates and is targetting another chance in the Carling Cup against Leeds United.

“I need to keep working hard and prove myself,” he told the Liverpool Daily Post.

“If I keep training well and playing well for the reserve team then maybe I might get another chance in the Carling Cup later this month.”

Ayala added, “It was a fantastic experience to play in front of such a big crowd against Tottenham and I was very excited.

“Then he [Benitez] told me on the Tuesday that I was going to start the next night against Stoke. I was more nervous than I was at Tottenham because it was to be my first senior start at Anfield.

“I was excited to be playing in front of the Kop and when we came out the noise was incredible.

“It was a very special experience to play my first full first-team game at Anfield, and to keep a clean sheet made me very proud.

“The manager told me well done at the end of the game, and to keep working hard.”

No comments: