Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rafa Benitez Was Key To Me Coming To Anfield - Alberto Aquilani


Alberto Aquilani has revealed that the chance to work with Rafa Benitez convinced him to sign for Liverpool.

The Italian had spent a decade with his boyhood club Roma.

“Rafa was the deciding factor for me and I am proud he has chosen me,” he said.

“I was very aware of him and appreciated the quality of his work long before this opportunity presented itself. I really like the way the team plays.

“Everyone has helped me so much since I arrived, but especially the manager and (chief scout) Eduardo (Macia).

“They have made me feel at home and made me see how important I am to them.

“I have met some of the players but not many because of the internationals. I know they are going to be great and I won’t have any problems fitting in.”

Meanwhile, Aquilani has been assured by Italy boss Marcello Lippi that his switch to Merseyside won't jeopardise his World Cup dream. He already has 11 caps for his country.

“I spoke to Lippi and he reassured me it won’t be a problem,” he said.

"He said I'm coming to play for a very important team and that if I do well here he will definitely call me up. The World Cup is a big objective for me but in order to be there I have to play well for Liverpool.”

No comments: