Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fernando Torres Eager For A Strong Start At Stoke


Fernando Torres insists Liverpool must dominate Stoke from the start tomorrow or they could suffer the same frustrations against the Potters as last season.

Tony Pulis’ side managed a creditable 0-0 draw at Anfield last term, and repeated that result against the Reds at the Britannia stadium. Those two results cost Liverpool four points, the same number which separated them from champions Manchester United last term.

Torres, who looked off the pace in Sunday’s defeat at Tottenham, said: "We know them, we know last season we played against them and it was really difficult.

"We couldn’t win against them, so we are waiting for a very defensive team. They will try to score from set-pieces or from a long ball.

"But we have to be offensive and go from the first minute until the end to try to score. And if we can score in the first minute I am sure we can win.

"The best thing when you lose is having a game three days later because we have the chance to forget about Tottenham.

"It is disappointing when you cannot win, but we have to improve, we have to be positive. We can get three points and we are on our way."

Torres - who has scored 50 goals in 85 games for Liverpool - will be appearing at Anfield for the first time since signing his new contract last week, and said: "I’m very proud because when I came here from Atletico Madrid I just wanted to play some games and see if I could play in a top team like Liverpool.

"Now two years later I think I am improving a lot, and I think I can improve a lot yet. I am still young, just 25."

He added: "I’m really happy. I hope I have a lot of seasons to play here.

"Things have gone well for me, when I left Madrid I had never played in the Champions League before, and Liverpool gave me the opportunity to play against the best teams in the world.

"I am really happy to sign a new contract with Liverpool and I hope I can sign more contracts in the future here.

"I feel good because the fans are fantastic with me. Every week it is amazing to see all the fans singing my name and my song. I am very proud to play for Liverpool.

"It is one of the most important clubs in Europe, the club with the best fans in the world, I am sure about that; and one of the clubs with the most history in modern football."

No comments: