Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Mathieu Valbuena: Rafa Targets Marseille’s Midget Gem To Replace Alonso At Liverpool?


Liverpool and Wigan have been named as interested suitors of Marseille playmaker Mathieu Valbuena according to his agent Christophe Hutteau.

He told skysports.com, “Mathieu would very much be interested in playing in England as the Premier League is the best in Europe.”

“Wigan are interested in Mathieu, but I think Mathieu would like to go to a big team in England.

“Liverpool are also interested in Mathieu, but so are teams in Spain, Germany, Italy and Russia.

“I think Mathieu will leave Marseille and I think it is very possible he could play in England this season.”

The French midfielder enjoyed an excellent 2008/09 season as Marseille narrowly missed out on the title by 3 points to eventual champions Bordeaux.

However, the arrival of Didier Deschamps as new coach has unsettled the player according to Valbuena himself.

He told L’Equipe, “Deschamps told me he knows I have played on the flanks in the past, but he feels I don’t fit into his tactical approach. He believes I cannot operate as a winger.

“I have been told I could play a few minutes towards the end of matches, but I want to leave.

“I have received his message. I understand my future is not at Marseille anymore. I wanted to stay here, but that cannot happen.

“I am very disappointed, considering everything I have experienced here with the fans. They will understand me.

“I won’t stay in these conditions. It hurts and I will be leaving against my will.”

Valbuena’s agent Hutteau confirmed the clash of personalities. He revealed, “Mathieu is a player that needs to be motivated to give his best.”

“The arrival of Didier Deschamps has changed everything.

“So far the Marseille officials have always been happy with Mathieu and have always rejected the approaches of other teams.

“It seems as though other great European coaches do not have the same opinion as Deschamps.”

The 24-year-old was born in Bruges, Gironde and began his career as a youth team player with Bordeaux.

Valbuena was eventually rejected for being too small but it failed to stop the 5 ft 5 midfielder from joining Libourne in 2004.

The diminutive midfielder scored 10 goals in 55 league appearances (43 starts) before Marseille made their move in June 2006.

Valbuena failed to make an impact in his first season after picking up an injury which held back his progress. In fact, he made just 15 league appearances that season (2 starts).

However, the following season saw a turnaround for the midfielder due to him maintaining his fitness and the exit of star man Franck Ribery.

This included 29 league appearances (18 starts) and 3 goals. He also scored in Marseille’s 1-0 Champions League group win at Anfield which brought him to Rafa Benitez’s attention.

Last season Valbuena played in 31 league games, starting 25 and scoring 3 goals.

However, his time at Marseille seems to have come to an end with the introduction of Deschamps. The midfielder has yet to play at international level despite a call-up to the French squad to face England and Mali. Unfortunately for Valbuena, he missed the matches through injury.

Liverpool may be in the market for the player nicknamed ‘Le Petit Velo’ or the little bike in his homeland. Xabi Alonso continues to be linked to a move Real Madrid so Rafa Benitez may be on the lookout for a new playmaker and although small in stature, Valbuena is a big talent.

No comments: