Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Daniel Agger Reveals Admiration For Liverpool Team-Mate Martin Skrtel


Liverpool defender Daniel Agger may be in competition with Martin Skrtel for a place at the heart of the Reds' back-four, but that doesn't stop him admiring the Slovak tremendously for the assets that he has brought to the side since his move from Zenit St. Petersburg in January 2008.

Agger made 26 appearances for Liverpool last season, as Jamie Carragher and Skrtel established a solid partnership at the back. Despite not playing regularly, he still signed a new contract recently, and believes that the strength in depth at the club is a sign of good things to come at Anfield.

"Martin is a top, top player. I was surprised when he came just how good he was," Agger told LFC Magazine.

"I have to be honest and say I don't know much about the Russian Premier League, so I did not really know what to expect when Martin came to the club.

"But he's a really good player and, just as importantly, he's a really good guy to have in the dressing room too. He's a guy who's good to talk to away from the pitch and who I admire a lot because of the way he plays on it.

"If you play all the time, if you get the chance to play week in, week out, then you must be a good player. I don't care if Martin and I are rivals for a starting place, he's still a friend of mine and I'll still tell the world how highly I rate him.

"He's an excellent defender and will keep getting better. We are competing with each other, maybe, to play in the team, but it's not a rivalry. Both of us play and train to the best of our ability and then the manager makes the decision."

No comments: