Monday, July 27, 2009

Fernando Torres Fired Up


Fernando Torres plans to cash in on the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo as the Premier League's most fearsome hitman.

But the Liverpool superstar admits he'll only hit the glorious heights of the ex-United winger if he inspires the Kop to their Premier League holy grail.

Torres believes the title race has been blown wide open thanks to Ronaldo's £80million departure from Old Trafford.

He is relishing the prospect of filling his boots with the kind of title winning goals United had become accustomed to - and will now sorely miss.

"Of course, it's my ambition to be seen in that way, but to do that we must win trophies," said Torres.

"I know only then will people be able to speak the same way about Liverpool and me as they have done Ronaldo and United.

"First we have to win trophies as a team and to do that we have to have a fantastic season. It's true we have one of our best chances to win the title for a long time, but it's still time to be careful.

"People are saying United will be a lot weaker without Ronaldo, but I don't think so. They are still a fantastic team but of course we have a big chance.

"Maybe with Ronaldo leaving United it's not so easy to see one big favorite this time.

"We think this can be the year for Liverpool, but we know how difficult it's going to be. Chelsea are the same side as last season and Arsenal are strong.

"We are also strong, and with a great signing like Glen Johnson joining us we feel we'll be even stronger. I hope Xabi Alonso stays too because he's one of the best midfielders in the world."

Torres has vowed to ensure last season's injury woes are a thing of the past. The 25-year-old said: "It's my aim to be fit for every game this season.

"It's hard to say I feel fresher now than last season because I've only just started training again after the Confederations Cup.

"By the start of the season I'm going to be 100 per cent. I hope last season's injury problems are well behind me."

No comments: