Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rafael Benitez To Fight Off Barcelona Bid To Sign Pepe Reina

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is getting ready to fight off a new round of unwanted advances from Barcelona – this time for goalkeeper Pepe Reina.

Barely a week after Benitez issued a robust hands off warning over midfielder Javier Mascherano, the Catalan club is being linked with a summer swoop for goalkeeper Reina.

Spanish publication El Mundo Deportivo claim that Reina may favour a return to La Liga after four years at Anfield.

The story surfaced after Barcelona’s current keeper, Victor Valdes – whose contract has only a year to run – reportedly demanded wage parity with Xavi Hernandez and a deal worth £150,000 a week. Nou Camp officials are unwilling to budge from an initial offer of £100,000 a week, and Valdes was immediately linked with a move Manchester United.

The promising but inexperienced Sergio Asenjo, 19, is Barca’s back-up keeper, but a Reina return to Catalunya would be appealing in Spain.

Reina rose through the Barca ranks and made 30 first team appearances before leaving to join Villarreal in 2002.

Reina, however, has only recently spoken of his happiness at Anfield.

“I am only 26 so still have a pretty long way to go. Hopefully that will be with Liverpool,” he said.

A regular winner of the Premier League’s Barclays Golden Glove prize, he missed out by one shut-out last season to Manchester United’s Edwin van der Sar, the first time in his Anfield career he has not carried off the clean sheet award.

It would have been nice, but it wasn’t to be,” he explained.

“It makes me happy that people cannot remember too many big mistakes I have made. I was personally unhappy with myself in the Champions League quarter-final at Chelsea. I shouldn’t have been beaten at the front post like that.

“But apart from that and the penalty at Old Trafford, I can’t think of many other games where I was really unhappy with my performance last season.”

Reina insists he has unfinished business at Anfield, with the Premier League title still his major priority next season.

“I had a little challenge going with Petr Cech last season where we’d see who could concede the least goals,” he explained.

“Despite our club rivalries we’re both in the goalkeepers’ union.

“We’d sent text messages to each other about the clean sheets as well. But I told him I would swap all of my clean sheets for his league titles. “All we want here at Liverpool is to win the Premier League. I’d prefer to win every game 3-2 if it meant we won the title at the end of the season.”

No comments: