Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pepe Reina: Don't Compare Me With Liverpool Legend Ray Clemence


Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has asserted that comparisons between him and the great Ray Clemence are a little premature, despite the clutch of records the Spaniard has broken over the last year, and added that he would rather develop his own reputation, rather than live in the shadow of legends.

"You will hear people talking about different eras and likening successful sides of the past to successful teams of the present," he told LFC Magazine.

"I'm not sure it's fair to do that. I'm not even sure what system Liverpool used when Clemence played or whether teams were attacking more or less than they do today.

"There are so many things that you have to consider.

"What I do know is that Clemence was probably the best goalkeeper in Liverpool's history. Of course, my aim is to achieve just half of what Clemence did with Liverpool. If I manage that it will be a successful time for the club."

Reina became the quickest goalkeeper in the Reds' history to reach 100 clean sheets, taking just 197 games to reach a milestone that took Clemence 200 matches. The Spanish international modestly shrugs off the plaudits that have been directed his way in recent times though, and prefers to highlight the contributions of his team-mates to that extraordinary shut-out record.

"I appreciate all the nice things people have said about me," he added.

"I feel I have improved many things in my game during the four years I have been at Liverpool. But I still have plenty of things to clear and am still young in terms of being a goalkeeper.

"I am only 26 so still have a pretty long way to go. Hopefully that will be with Liverpool.

"I'm pleased to go into the history books alongside someone like Clemence. You have to be pleased with that. But it's not all down to Pepe Reina. It has to be shared with my team-mates and especially the defenders.

"It's down to all the lads and the people who play in front of me. They make my job a lot easier so full credit to them.

"Where a striker is always looking to score, defenders and goalkeepers are always wishing to keep a clean sheet. It is better to win 1-0 than 2-1."

No comments: