Sunday, June 07, 2009

Liverpool's Martin Skrtel Looking Forward To Summer


Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel has stated that he is looking forward to the chance of a rest over the summer months before the Premier League restarts in August.

The 24-year-old will play his last game of the 2008/2009 season when Slovakia meet San Marino in a World Cup qualifier on Saturday, and the Reds central defender has said he is pleased at the chance of a rest.

The Slovakia international made 30 appearances last season for the Reds, despite three months on the sidelines following knee ligament damage.

The former Zenit St. Petersburg defender has said he has enjoyed his first full season in the Premier League, and is now looking forward to some hard earned rest.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.tv, Skrtel said, "I have enjoyed this year - my first full year in England.

"A lot of things have been good for me, though I did injure my knee and didn't play for three months. That was not a good period for me but overall it's been a good year.

"I am looking forward to the break. This season has been very long - 11 months. It was my first full season, so I'm looking forward to a holiday and I'll enjoy it.

"I have one international to play and after that I'll see what I'll do."

The Reds defender has been at Anfield since joining from the Russian Premier League last year, and has made 35 league appearances for the club, without scoring.

No comments: