Sunday, June 21, 2009

Alonso Expects To Stay At LiverpooL


Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has said that he is not planning to leave the club this summer.

The Spain international has recently been linked with a move to Real Madrid amidst rumours of a rift between himself and Reds boss Rafael Benitez.

Alonso did not rule out a move away from Liverpool but insisted that he is happy at Anfield.

"I am happy at Liverpool but in football you cannot close the doors on anything because you don't know what will happen. I do not plan to go," he told El Pais.

"With Sami Hyypia already gone, I am one of the senior players alongside Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard.

"There was strong interest in me from Madrid (in 2004) but Liverpool came and that is where I went. It was not a wrong decision, not for me anyway. I have played at Liverpool, a special club, and grown as a player and won titles."

The 27-year-old also denied that his relationship with Benitez has deteriorated in light of the manager's indecision over his future last year.

"Each one has his own point of view. He is the manager and I try to do the best with what he tells me," Alonso added.

"We have a good professional relationship. We speak normally, saying what he wants from me and what I can give. He makes the decisions and we try to execute them.

"Last summer there was certain indecision and I did not know what was going to happen. I finished up playing well, though. I have had two quite complete seasons."

No comments: