Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Competition Improves Me - Lucas


Liverpool's Lucas Leiva believes competition for places in the Reds midfield has made him a better player.

The 22-year-old Brazil international midfielder has played a supporting role to Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso at Anfield this season.

He told BBC Radio Merseyside: "It's good because when you are fighting with players like Alonso and Javier. You try to improve every day.

"You know if you don't improve it will be impossible to play."

Lucas, who has scored three goals in 36 appearances for Liverpool this season, has not always been met with universal approval from Liverpool fans.

The former Brazil Under-20 captain believes it is too early to compare him to his more experienced midfield team-mates at Anfield.

"I am learning, but Steven Gerrard is 29, Alonso is almost 28, Javier is almost 25 and I'm 22 so I'm young and I have to enjoy this time and to learn with them.

"Hopefully in one or two years I will be a key player also," said Lucas.

Lucas believes he is beginning to show the faith that manager Rafa Benitez placed in him on signing from Gremio in 2007.

"When I don't start I play some minutes, which shows how confident Rafa is in my quality.

"I know not everybody trusts in me but I don't care. I have said before I just care about the team, (and) the staff.

"If they are happy in me I will show, as soon as possible, my real quality."

No comments: