Sunday, April 05, 2009

Redknapp Reveals Keane Drama


Harry Redknapp has revealed he almost missed out on re-signing Robbie Keane in January as he felt Liverpool would not want to sell the Irish striker - just six months after taking him to Anfield in a £20million deal.

The Republic of Ireland skipper has been instrumental for Tottenham following his arrival back at White Hart Lane in January.

Keane may have struggled to find his best form at Liverpool during his short spell at Anfield, but has wasted no time stamping his authority in north London.

Redknapp handed the Irish striker the captaincy and he has led from the front as Tottenham have gone on a six-match unbeaten run to move away from the bottom three.

Redknapp said: "I didn't see any chance in getting Robbie here. I kept saying to the chairman that Liverpool will not sell Robbie Keane.

"I was always interested in Robbie, but never thought there was a chance of that.

"I gave the chairman a couple of strikers I was interested in and he tried to see where there was a deal to be done with one of them.

"I am delighted that Robbie decided to return to the club. I am sure that if the club had their way these players would never have left in the first place."

No comments: