Monday, March 30, 2009

Skrtel Was Out Of Order - Crouch


Peter Crouch has accused former Liverpool team-mate Martin Skrtel of deliberately kicking him and adding to England's striker crisis.

Crouch was forced off with a dead leg towards the end of the friendly win over Slovakia, having already seen Emile Heskey and Carlton Cole limp off in the first half at Wembley.

"I went up with Skrtel. I thought he was my mate to be honest, but obviously not," Crouch said. "I went up with him and he kicked out and gave me a dead leg."

Skrtel was being given a torrid time by Wayne Rooney, which may have contributed to the centre-back's frustration during the 4-0 defeat to Fabio Capello's men.

"It was a little bit (out of order)," Crouch added. "It's for other people to discuss if he didn't have the best of days."

Capello has drafted in Tottenham striker Darren Bent as cover, with Crouch desperate to be fit for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine.

The 28-year-old sees Capello's injury problems as a real opportunity to seize his chance to impress.

"I was gutted to come off, I just wanted to carry on running around but having both our other strikers come off the manager wanted to take me off," he said.

"If I rest up on ice when I get to the hotel, hopefully I can play some part on Wednesday.

"You don't wish injuries on anyone but when they do you have to take your chances.

"I've always felt that when I play I score goals. There is an opening now, a couple of injuries and I can prove myself.

"When I've played I've done well and hopefully, given the chances, I will continue to do well. I've scored goals for England and when called upon will score goals. Hopefully that will be the case."

Crouch would have been on the scoresheet against Slovakia if skipper John Terry had not tapped in when the ball was about to cross the line.

"I was looking to do that, come in and maybe score a goal if JT stayed out the way!" Crouch said.

"He apologised a few times. I would have done the same as well so I can't blame him."

If Crouch had scored there would have been no repeat of his famous robot celebration - a mark of the change in attitude under Capello.

"A few of the lads in the dressing room told me to do it but I don't think I can to be honest, it's a serious business now and I don't think it would go down too well with the manager," he said.

Cole and Heskey have now been ruled out of the Ukraine clash, with West Ham striker Cole reflecting on a missed opportunity.

He said: "I'm really disappointed, Emile scored and it was a great opportunity for me to come on and show what I can do.

"I felt really good after training all week so I am a bit disappointed that I couldn't come on and translate that onto the field."

No comments: