Monday, March 30, 2009

Gerrard Unhappy About Lucas Criticism


Steven Gerrard has told the Liverpool supporters to stop criticising under-fire midfielder Lucas Leiva.

The Brazil international, 22, has been booed by his own fans this season as he has struggled to find his best form and recently admitted that ‘some people don't trust me yet’.

However, he has already received the full backing of boss Rafa Benitez, and Gerrard has now called on the Liverpool fans to get behind the player as he develops.

“The criticism he receives does get to me,” he said in the Daily Star Sunday.

“I think people forget he’s 22 years old. He’s not 27 or 28.

“I remember what I was like at that age and I look at where I am now.

“I know that I’m a one-million-percent better player now. I got better with experience.

“I made mistakes and learned and it has helped me become the player I am.

“Lucas is a good player and I know he’ll continue to get better.”

Gerrard has also called for critics to recognise the contribution of the rest of the squad after the team’s recent impressive run.

Gerrard and Fernando Torres have taken most of the plaudits after the impressive victories over Real Madrid, Manchester United and Aston Villa, but the club captain feels it has been a team effort.

"It's an absolute privilege to captain this football club at any time, but especially when the team is playing the way it is," he said.

"It makes my job an awful lot easier when you don't have to talk too much to players because they are just doing their jobs without that being needed.

"Confidence is really high right now and we're certainly enjoying playing together. We are playing without fear and without anxiety and I think you're seeing some superb football from us in the last couple of weeks.

"I'm playing with magnificent players. Torres and myself have had a lot of pats on the back of late, but it's important to acknowledge our teammates who have been fantastic.

"That's from the goalkeeper and the defence right through to the front.

"The two full backs have been magnificent lately, the centre backs have been the same. I could go right through the team and everyone is doing their job properly.

“Long may that continue and hopefully it will right up until the end of the season.

"If we keep playing the way we have been over the last three games then it's going to be an exciting finish."

No comments: