Friday, March 06, 2009

Mascherano Wants Reds Consistency


Argentine midfielder Javier Mascherano says Liverpool need to improve their form before they can think of a Premier League title challenge this season.

The Reds are seven points behind leaders Manchester United.

"We are not too close to Manchester United but we have to still fight to see what happens," said Mascherano.

"It’s important we don't look at the league classification. We need to concentrate and try to win games and see what happens."

Liverpool beat Sunderland 2-0 at Anfield on Tuesday with the 24-year-old filling in at right-back.

But the 24-year-old says he will play in any position as long as it is in the best interest of the squad.

"I try to think about the team," added Masherano. "If the team need me in that position I will try to do my best.

"Where I play the best is in the centre of midfield, but you never know if we are going to have injuries to players like Alvaro Arbeloa and Phillipe Degan.

"We don't have any players who can play on the right of defence, so I don't have any problems playing there."

No comments: