Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Voronin Won't Get Liverpool Recall Despite Striker Crisis

Andrey Voronin has offered to return to Liverpool to ease their striker crisis.

And the Ukrainian misfit, on loan at Hertha Berlin, has cheekily claimed Liverpool have been in contact with him over the prospect.

Voronin was shipped out to the German club after just one season at Anfield and is in talks to make the move permanent.

But yesterday he claimed he could replace Robbie Keane, who returned to Spurs in the transfer window.

"I still have a contract at Liverpool and now Keane has been sold I could go back," said Voronin. "I was playing regularly at Anfield until they signed Keane, and with him gone, they don't have many strikers.

"I know my agent has talked with Liverpool and I could help them."

Yet far from talking to Voronin about a return, officials at Anfield explained they are trying to discuss his departure for good as they are still paying a big chunk of his wages.

Meanwhile, defender Martin Kelly has been given a contract extension to June 2011.

No comments: