Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fernando Torres: Liverpool Is Steven Gerrard And Ten Others


Talismanic Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard had recently been ruled out of action for up to three weeks after scans revealed he had torn his hamstring.

Silky striker Fernando Torres though has indicated that this is an absence that the Reds can ill afford as they aim to maintain the pressure on league leaders Manchester United.

'El Nino' believes that Gerrard is irreplaceable, and even stated that Liverpool is "Gerrard and ten others."

Torres is currently linking up with his Spanish squad as the current European Champions host England in an international friendly.

He told The Daily Telegraph, "There is simply no substitute for Gerrard. Every great team has a talisman, the player who has been at the club for ever – he is ours.

"People come and go but he is always here. He is everything to us. Liverpool is Gerrard and 10 others. They talk about him being out for three weeks but hopefully it will be less.

"I am encouraged by the fact that he asked for the change as soon as he felt the pull. I hope that he will be out for less time than originally thought."

Regarding the Anfield reception that Torres is subject to, the modest Spaniard revealed that he remains overwhelmed by the adulation, adding, "It is wonderful when they sing my name. I am not Gerrard or Carragher, I am not one of theirs.

"But when you get so much support so soon, it is very special. And it drives you on to achieve things for those fans with goals and titles.

"The other day I was walking the dogs in the street and I walked past two men. Once I was ten metres ahead they started singing my name. It’s a great feeling."

No comments: