Thursday, December 25, 2008

Wigan's Bruce Won't Rule Out A Bid For Liverpool's Pennant


Wigan Atletic manager Steve Bruce remains coy about the prospect of a bid for Liverpool's out of favour winger, Jermaine Pennant.

The Latics have been credited with interest in the 26-year-old, who has been deemed surplus to requirements at Anfield.

Pennant has emerged as an in-demand commodity ahead of the winter transfer window, with Celtic also rumoured to be interested.

More outlandish speculation saw Pennant linked with Real Madrid in today's batch of rumours, a side that have also run the rule over Wigan's own highly rated winger, Antonio Valencia.

Steve Bruce was reluctant to discuss the fate of a player at a rival club, but admitted that he admires Pennant from their time together at Birmingham City.

He told a press conference: “He’s going to Wigan yesterday and Real Madrid today.

“With speculation you’re never going to get me to comment on other people’s players, that’s for sure.

“I had Jermaine before so I know what he’s all about, he’s a very good player but that’s the way it is at the moment.”

Bruce also addressed the issue of his own players being seen as rich pickings for some of the league's bigger clubs, with Valencia and the likes of Emile Heskey and Wilson Palacios seemingly ready to leave the JJB.

He explained: “The biggest challenge I’ve got is keeping hold of the squad I’ve got.

“For a calendar year we’ve taken something like 54, 55 points which is an incredible achievement for a club like ours. That proves to me over a year that we’ve got some good players here.

“The last thing we want to be doing is trying to sell them but also I am a realist. I know that the big clubs are circulating because we have got some really good players.

“I want to try and keep them all together and if I can add one or two then of course I will.”

No comments: