Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Torres Delighted To Be Free Of Atlético Pressure


The goalscorer believes he rose too quickly and was handed too much responsibility at a time when he was not old enough to have it.

Fernando Torres has revealed that he is enjoying life at Liverpool because he feels free after becoming burdened by the attention and captain's armband at Atlético de Madrid.

The Spanish international striker has become an idol at Anfield since his move in the summer of 2007 and he thinks that it was the lifting of all the pressure placed on him at Vicente Calderón that helped.

At 19, Torres was made captain of Los Colchoneros and he thinks that he was too young to be the leader of a team and is revelling in the fact that he is not the main man at Liverpool.

"Here I am not longer like I was in Madrid where everything was focussed on me," he told Spanish news agency EFE.

"I did not have any experience so how could I have been the leader of players with more experience? That was pressure.

"At Liverpool I feel free because I do not have the captain's armband. My play has gone up in quality since moving here."

Torres is still a fan of the Spanish outfit and admits that he would relish being able to meet them again in Europe this season in his home city of Madrid.

"Liverpool is in a different dimension to Atlético, even though they will always be the club for life. My dream is really to play in the Champions League final against Atleti in the Bernabéu," he continued.

When Rafa Benítez was given permission to talk to Torres about a move to Liverpool, the youngster was not expecting the call and stated that he had to do some checking up.

"I thought it was a joke and called Pepe Reina to see what the manager's phone number was," he added.

No comments: