Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Rafa Benitez Hits Out Over Money Grabbing Contract Claims

UNHAPPY Rafael Benitez has hit out at claims he has demanded a massive pay rise in negotiations over a new contract.

The Liverpool manager is furious that talks over a new deal at Anfield are being depicted in some quarters as money-orientated.

Benitez insists he instructed his agent, holding talks with Liverpool co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett over a new deal to replace his current contract which runs out in 18 months, not to discuss money first.

And the Spaniard said: “I was surprised by what I read. I was surprised that I have seen that I was demanding more money. That is not true.

“I told my agent when he went into the talks to not talk about money, the question was about the length of the contract, and after that it was my role. The last question was about the money.

“So when you see things said (about money), it means people are either not telling the truth or that people have very bad information or they want to create a mess.

“I was very disappointed with this. I say again, it is not true. I was not asking for anything, just telling my advisors to go to the meeting and hear what they (the owners) want. The owners were talking about an extension.

“Again I say, people have very bad information. Hopefully it will be resolved sooner rather than later, but I do not know when.

“I was pleased with the first meeting, and more so in the second meeting, that was better. Again I am very clear, people are trying to create a mess and I do not know why.”

Meanwhile, Yossi Benayoun has held clear-the-air talks with Benitez – but admits his long-term future may still lie away from Anfield.

Benayoun went public last month with his frustration at playing a bit-part role for Liverpool this season.

The Israeli international has since been reassured by Benitez he will be given first-team opportunities for the Premier League leaders.

And Benayoun has started the last two games, scoring in Saturday’s 3-1 win at Blackburn Rovers, and is likely to retain his place for tonight’s Champions League group game at PSV Eindhoven.

But the midfielder has intimated he could review his position during next month’s transfer window, with Ajax, Roma and Spartak Moscow among a clutch of clubs monitoring his situation.

“The boss had a chat with me a couple of weeks ago, after all that stuff appeared about my future,” said Benayoun. “I didn't ask for any talks, he said he wanted to speak to me about it.

“He just told me I had to stay calm, because I would get chances in the team, and we agreed it was important now to put any personal feelings to one side and concentrate on trying to keep us at the top of the table.

“There will be time to think about my situation in January or at the end of the season, so for now, I'm happy to put that behind me and focus on doing my bit for the team.

“The problem for me is that the manager is not rotating as much as he used to. It is the same 11 players every week, and they are doing so well, no-one can really complain.

“I have to be patient, but I'm still not sure whether, in the long term, my future will be here.”

No comments: