Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Liverpool's Jermaine Pennant To Snub Spurs As He Holds Out For Spain Move


Tottenham Hotspur’s planned January move for Jermaine Pennant could flounder with the Liverpool winger holding out for a move to Spain.

Pennant, who is out of contract at the end of the season, is surplus to requirements at Anfield with Rafael Benitez keen to sell the player during the forthcoming transfer window.

Real Madrid had agreed a fee in the region of £3million for the 25-year-old only for talks to stall over the player’s personal demands.

The deal has since been revived, although Atletico Madrid are also said to have been offered Pennant’s services.

And the winger’s desire for a move to La Liga could scupper Tottenham’s hopes of taking the former Arsenal man back to London with a £2m bid.

“I cannot imagine playing for another Premier League team after Liverpool,” said Pennant, who is also attracting interest from Wigan Athletic and Stoke City.

“I know Real Madrid made an offer for me. Real Madrid is a great club, so is Liverpool. I am not sure of the situation now; I am flattered that a club as huge as Real has shown interest in me, so we will have to see.

“I just want to play regular football and one of my dreams is to be able to do it in Spain one day. I love the way teams like Sevilla, Barcelona, Valencia or Real play. They keep the ball, they use wingers. The technical ability of the players is huge.”

Pennant’s last appearance came in the home victory over Portsmouth in late October, with the winger watching from the sidelines as Liverpool have opened up a three-point lead at the top of the table.

No comments: