Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Yossi Benayoun Moves Closer To Liverpool FC Exit

Yossi Benayoun has hinted he will consider leaving Anfield in the New Year if he remains a bit-part player for Liverpool.

The Israel international, a £6million signing from West Ham United 18 months ago, has always claimed he is content to stay and fight for his place in Rafael Benitez’s side.

But the 28-year-old, who was tracked by Ajax, Spartak Moscow, Manchester City and Roma during the summer, has admitted his patience is wearing thin at being left on the bench.

“If the situation remains the same over the next few months, and I’m not getting more time in the middle, I will not want to continue as a Liverpool player,” Benayoun told Israel’s Channel Five TV station.

“The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything.

“I hope it changes for me, because I want to stay and prove myself, but it won’t be easy. I know I’m at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and that there are many good players like Ryan Babel and Jermaine Pennant who sometimes aren’t even in the squad, but it’s not much fun sitting on the bench all the time.

“I always wanted to prove myself good enough for Liverpool, and I thought I did well last season to contribute so many goals and assists. But there seems to be more competition for places this time, and if I continue to be on the sidelines, I would not want to stay, even though it is Liverpool.

“Maybe I will have to accept that and start learning another language, such as Italian or French or even Russian.”

Meanwhile, Liverpool are keen to open talks with Alvaro Arbeloa, whose current deal expires in 2010, over a new contract to stave off interest from Atletico Madrid.

No comments: