Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Torres Focused On Winning The League - Not On A Move South

Fernando Torres has said he has no intention of leaving Liverpool for Chelsea or any other European club as the Spain international prepares to return to Rafael Benítez's starting line-up at Tottenham Hotspur tonight.

The £26.5m record signing is scheduled to make his first start since October 5 in the Carling Cup fourth-round tie, and announced his recovery from a hamstring tear yesterday by reaffirming his commitment to Anfield. Torres was a supposed target for Luiz Felipe Scolari when the Brazilian first arrived at Stamford Bridge, although no contact was ever made with Liverpool over the player who has become one of the most coveted in the game.

However, the 24-year-old, who signed a six-year contract when he joined Liverpool from Atlético Madrid last year, said: "I have no plans to go anywhere, not back to Spain, not to Italy, not to another English club. I read a lot of things [about Chelsea in the summer] but I was at the European Championships and I did not want any distractions. I don't know if they spoke with the club or with my agent. But in any case even if there was something in it nothing was ever going to make me abandon Liverpool."

Torres hailed the Liverpool manager, Benítez, as "the best coach I have ever had without doubt" and admitted the priority at Anfield this season has to be winning the league title. He added: "When I arrived at Liverpool, everyone talked about the league. We have won it 19 times and Manchester United 18. If they win it this season then they draw level and the fans don't want that. I think 90% of Liverpool fans would prefer the league."

Benítez yesterday confirmed his compatriot could start at White Hart Lane but travelled to London without Steven Gerrard and Robbie Keane. Dirk Kuyt, Jamie Carragher and Xabi Alonso are also expected to be rested. "We have a lot of good players in our first-team squad and a lot of young players too, and they all need games, so I have to decide on which ones," the Liverpool manager said.

No comments: