Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lucas: Play Me And I'll Be Red Hot


Liverpool's Lucas Leiva wants to show what he can do against Tottenham Hotspur in the midweek Carling Cup showdown.

He looked promising when he first arrived on Merseyside, but young Lucas Leiva hasn't quite made the first team impact he'd hoped for and is now very much a fringe player. In fact, sections of the Liverpool fanbase are seriously underwhelmed by his progress.

However, the Brazilian is hoping he'll get the nod from boss Rafa Benitez for the Carling Cup clash with holders Tottenham in midweek.

The 21-year-old former GrĂªmio midfielder has further urged Rafa to let him off the leash so he can fulfil his potential as a goalscoring threat.

"In Brazil I scored goals," he noted, "I got eight in my best season.

"Now? I can't get into the box as much. I didn't last season because I was adapting to the game here, where the pace is so different.

"This season, though, I can get into the box more and hopefully get some goals. The Carling Cup is an opportunity for us to show what we can do.

"It's not as important as the Premier League, but when you play for a club like Liverpool you want to win all the trophies. I want to opportunity to play at Wembley, where some of the Brazil internationals have played."

It'll likely be tough for Lucas to prove himself as a goalscoring midfielder in a team full of prolific midfield marksmen.

No comments: