Thursday, October 09, 2008

Riera Tips Torres For Solo Trophies


With the injury to Sevilla's wingman Diego Capel Spain's head coach Vincente Del Bosque called up Liverpool's summer signing Albert Riera.

Riera revelled in his role in the 3-2 comeback over Manchester City at the weekend and will be keen to translate that form to the international scene should he be picked against Estonia, or Belgium.

Riera though believes club and country team-mate Fernando Torres is deserving of all the plaudits, and believes he is a candidate for the Ballon d'Or.

Regarding his call up to the Spain camp, Riera told journalists at a press conference: "They called me yesterday (Tuesday) and I arrived as quickly as possible because a call-up fills you with joy and makes you believe."

"Even though I was upset not to be part of the European Championships squad, I was convinced I would have played my part," he said. "But regretting and thinking of the past is useless, you have to be focused on what’s to come."

"I am doing good things alongside Fernando Torres, who is a partner and a good friend. To me he should win the Ballon d'Or."

He added: "La Liga and The Premier League are different because the rhythm of the games is quicker in England, you are more focused on the ball."

No comments: