Sunday, October 26, 2008

Riera Ready For Second Chance


Albert Riera is determined to prove himself in the Premier League at the second time of asking.

The Spanish winger made little impression in England during a loan spell at Manchester City in 2006, but rediscovered his form on returning to his homeland with Espanyol.

International honours and a deadline day move to Liverpool duly followed, with Riera adamant he is a more mature player than the one which failed to ignite at Eastlands.

An impressive start to life on Merseyside bodes well for the future, although the 26-year-old is well aware of the many challenges which lie ahead.

"What I have learned in recent years is that any footballer can succeed in the Premier League if he has talent and he is also prepared to back that up with hard work, effort and discipline. That is the secret to foreigners succeeding here, and this time I came with no illusions," Riera said.

"When I was younger, I just thought I could walk on to the field and play. You can't. Look at how hard Fernando Torres works at Liverpool. He wouldn't have had to do that in Spain. It's incredible.

"I am a more technical player now and also more mature. My pride won't let me fail this time."

Riera has joined a burgeoning contingent of Spaniards at Anfield but insists that manager Rafa Benitez shows no favouritism towards his countrymen.

"I am at Liverpool because of a personal request from Rafa Benitez," he added.

"He is key for me, but for Rafa there is no difference between Spanish, English or other players.

"Some people believe it is an advantage to be Spanish if you play for Liverpool. That is not true. All Rafa asks is that we all work and behave the same.

"Look at Torres. He is one of the best strikers in the world. I have suffered from his goals in the Spanish league and I am happy that for once he is on my side! But he works as hard as anybody else."

No comments: