Sunday, October 26, 2008

Liverpool Want Title - Scolari


Luiz Felipe Scolari is not surprised by Liverpool's unbeaten start because he believes winning the Premier League is their top priority.

His Liverpool counterpart Rafael Benitez is now in his fifth season as Anfield manager but despite winning the Champions League during his tenure, the Reds have still not put the league trophy in the cabinet since 1990.

But Scolari, whose side face Liverpool in a top-of-the-table clash at Stamford Bridge on Sunday lunch time, believes that ending the famine is now the top target for Benitez.

"Liverpool are thinking more about the Premier League more than at any other time," said Scolari.

"I read many times that Liverpool think more about Champions League than Premier League. I don't think that is the case now. They are thinking about winning the Premier League.

"This season, they play more and think more about Premier League than in the other seasons.

"They have a balance and a good squad. They have more confidence and they have improved. The league is more difficult than maybe some of the other competitions. There is no game in the league that you will think you will win easy. It is a difficult league."

Benitez remains in charge at Anfield despite the lack of a league title but, given Chelsea's propensity for changing their managers, it is unlikely that Scolari will be given the same amount of time to win it.

Scolari has a two-year contract with the Blues but insists that there is nothing in writing that says he must win any of the four major competitions they chase every year.

When asked whether he would be handed another deal if he fails to win the league during the term of his contract, Scolari replied: "I don't know, I have a contract for two years only. Maybe I stay here for three, four or five years.

"Maybe they give me another two years in the future. I have two years to win competitions. I expect to win competitions.

"When I arrived here in Chelsea I said we need to play game by game to win. I don't know which competition we will reach the final of but we need to try and reach them all.

"It is possible to go through the season without losing. There are four competitions and we have four chances of winning something.

"If Chelsea win the league I would be happy for sure but I would be happy if we won the Carling Cup.

"I am not only thinking about the Premier League. Chelsea need to win a competition.

"We are in a good situation in the Champions League and the Carling Cup. We are also in a good position in the Premier League but there is a long way to go."

No comments: