Friday, October 31, 2008

Mascherano Welcomes Maradona Move - But Does Not Want To Be Argentina Captain


Javier Mascherano has welcomed Maradona's appointment as Argentina boss - but has pleaded: "Don't make me captain."

Maradona is poised to take the national job next week and has long praised the Liverpool hardman - already saying the Argentina team will be "Mascherano and ten more.

"But it seems the 24-year-old does not want the responsibility of leading his country.

He said: "I do not have the charisma to be the captain of my country.

"I can put my determination and my strength on the pitch and that can spread, but being captain is not in my personality - it is something you are born with, not something you acquire."

Although Mascherano has shunned the captaincy, he says Maradona will be a success and that he cannot wait to play under him after getting a little taster before the 2008 Olympics.

Maradona joined the national side just before the tournament in Beijing for a kickaround and left Mascherano impressed.

He added: "I believe Maradona as coach will be really special. The experience around Beijing was spectacular.

"The day he came to Ezeiza, just before the trip, and requested permission to coach us, was impressive.

"I think it will be very positive to all be under the command of Diego."

No comments: