Monday, October 20, 2008

Kuyt Up Front About Role


Dirk Kuyt is willing to continue to lead the line for Liverpool in Fernando Torres' absence.

Prolific goalscorer Torres is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury that he sustained while on international duty with Spain.

Kuyt, often deployed on the right-hand side of midfield, slotted in as a striker against Wigan Athletic on Saturday and netted a vital double as the Reds claimed a 3-2 win.

The Dutchman is hopeful Torres will soon return to action but is happy to ply his trade in the striking role as Liverpool prepare for crunch clashes against Atletico Madrid and Chelsea.

He said: "Fernando is very important for us and it was a big blow that he wasn't on the pitch. But I tried to do my job when the boss put me up front, I just intended on scoring goals for the team.

"It does not concern me what position I play, I have enjoyed being played on the right, and I just want to be important for the team.

"I just hope Fernando is back quickly, but whenever the boss wants me up front, I will be ready.

"I do not think of where I play when Fernando is back. I feel I have been important on the right, scoring goals and with a few assists.

"The most joy for me is that we are winning more games and are at the top of the table."

No comments: