Monday, October 20, 2008

Dirk Kuyt: Liverpool FC Will Get 19th Title

DIRK KUYT reckons Liverpool “have what it takes” to end the club’s 19-year title wait.

The Reds have made their best ever start to a season since football’s top flight was re-branded.

With Rafael Benitez having been unable to mount a serious championship challenge since arriving from Valencia in 2004 and Manchester United now just one title shy of Liverpool’s all-time record of 18 wins, everyone at Anfield is determined to secure a first Premier League crown this season.

Saturday’s 3-2 victory over Wigan Athletic at Anfield, in which Kuyt scored an 85th-minute winner, saw Liverpool come from behind to claim three points and ensure they stay joint top with next Sunday’s opponents Chelsea.

Benitez, whose side had to come back twice after Wigan’s Amr Zaki netted a brace, said: “We showed plenty to pull it out of the fire like that.

“In a way, it showed how far we have come since last season.

“We have improved massively, and you can be sure we would only have drawn or maybe even lost a game like this 12 months ago.

“We passed a test with this win. We took another step forward by pulling it round and taking the points, despite not being at our best.

“We don't want to have to dig deep like that too often, but I don't think we will. No-one can say we haven't turned it on at times this season, but now we've shown we have what it takes when questions are asked of us.”

Two-goal Dirk Kuyt said: “I didn't feel any added pressure stepping in for Fernando up front. He was always going to be a big loss, but when the boss turned to me and asked me to fill in, I was more than pleased.

“People go on about my role in the team, but I can honestly say it doesn't concern me. All I am bothered about is playing and contributing, and I feel I have been doing both this season.

“It is important for the team to have Fernando back as soon as possible, and if that means a return to the right flank for me, I won't be complaining.

“Wherever the manager needs me to play, I'll be there, giving it my best. I don't see this as a chance to stake a claim for a place up front alongside him when he is fit. That has never crossed my mind.

“I have enjoyed my time on the right and feel I have contributed with a few goals and few assists. Honestly, it would be fine either way for me.”

Liverpool’s other goalscorer Albert Riera said: “The great thing about wins like this, and the one against Man City, is it demonstrates how good we are at reacting to adversity. That is so important and is the message that comes across loud and clear.

“We would love to win more comfortably and be in charge from the first minute, but it doesn't always go like that.”

He added: “Other teams lift their game against us, because we are up at the top, and we have to respond. We just don't know when we are beaten, and that is a quality that was apparent to me the moment I arrived here.”

No comments: