Sunday, October 05, 2008

Kuyt Happy To Play Team Game


For Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt, goal scoring has become a hit-and-miss situation - hit in the Champions League, miss in the Premier League.

The Dutchman finds himself in the remarkable position of failing to score in the top flight in 26 appearances dating back to Liverpool's 3-0 win at Newcastle last November.

But in Europe, it is a totally different story. His opener in the 3-1 group-stage victory over PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday was his 10th in his last 16 Champions League ties.

Kuyt has scored 15 in 72 league games for Liverpool, and 12 in 31 cup ties.

The 28-year-old finds those figures hard to explain, but insists he does not care who scores for Liverpool as long as they win and he has been able to contribute to the team effort.

Boss Rafael Benitez consistently says the same, highlighting Kuyt's amazing work rate, which suggests the likeable Holland international will be in the thick of the action on Sunday at Eastlands against Manchester City.

It has not helped Kuyt's strike rate that he has been converted virtually to a right-sided midfielder by Benitez.

But the former Feyenoord forward said: "I scored again in Europe in midweek, and it does not matter what competition it is as far as I am concerned. That was my 10th in 16 European matches, but they are just goals to me.

"We have started well this season, we are in the top two in the Premier League and have six points in the Champions League. That is the most important thing.

"Winning games is the only thing that matters, not who scores them. But I have confidence that I will score more goals in the Premier League.

"For me, if I get an assist rather than a goal, it does not matter too much. It is still a goal."

Kuyt has slotted into his wide role with an uncomplaining attitude, saying: "I like it there. It allows me to make goals and to score them too.

"It is more important for me to play as part of the team. It does not matter what position that is, as a striker or on the right.

"If Rafa asked me to play full-back that would not be a problem, it is his decision. But I'm not sure how well I would do there, though!

"But I would do whatever he asks because you are a professional and all you can do is get on with it."

His hard-working style means Benitez uses that attribute in a role that sometimes sees Kuyt playing outside the box. He continued: "My goals target has changed a little because you do not get as many chances playing in the role I have now.

"You have other jobs to do when you are out on the right, goals are not the main target for me this season, it is honours that I want."

And he has no intention of leaving, despite transfer window speculation of interest from Hamburg. Benitez said of that: "Maybe in 10 years."

Kuyt added: "When you play for Liverpool it is impossible to find a better club anywhere in the world."

Which brings Kuyt onto Manchester City, and some wild, initial, suggestions from their new Arab owners that the likes of Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard were on their wish-list.

Kuyt commented on that: "I don't think any players from Liverpool would want to join Manchester City because Liverpool is a much bigger club. It won't be easy for City if they try to sign really big players.

"It's possible, but if you want the ones who are already playing for the big clubs, that's the difficult thing."

No comments: