Sunday, October 05, 2008

Alonso Admits Summer Sorrow

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has admitted that the treatment he received from the club over the summer still leaves a sour taste.

The Spain international looked set to leave Anfield with Rafa Benitez apparently happy to part with his services to raise funds for the proposed signing of Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

Alonso came close to joining Juventus, while Arsenal were also credited with an interest in his services, but he remained on Merseyside as Villa rejected all advances from the Reds for England international Barry.

The gifted midfielder never wanted to move away from Merseyside and is happy to have remained part of Benitez's first-team plans.

Alonso told the Daily Express: "I prefer not to think too much about how I was treated. It was a new situation for me, something I had never experienced before.

"It is a fact that any player can be really happy where he is but, if the club don't want him, he has to accept it. There is not much you can do.

"It is not always easy to detach yourself from things like that, but I accept it is part of football and the main thing is it was all resolved and I am now playing regularly.

"I was really pleased that I was able to continue my Liverpool career."

Liverpool have made an impressive unbeaten start to the season and Alonso believes they have the potential to challenge for honours at home and abroad.

He added: "With the team we have got and the spirit of the fans, it could be the right time to win things.

"But I prefer not to say it very loudly. We have to be cautious about making any predictions at this stage of the season. We know there is pressure because we haven't won anything for two years - but we impose that pressure on ourselves.

"We are responsible for the successes and failures of this club and we are more than happy to take that responsibility."

No comments: