Saturday, September 06, 2008

Riera On Torres, Rafa and Expectations

New signing Albert Riera has revealed he will thrive on the challenge of creating goalscoring chances for 'one of the best strikers in the world'.

Firstly Albert, there was interest in you from a number of clubs so why was Liverpool your number one choice?

I had a clear idea from the first time Espanyol told me there were some offers. There was only club for me and I told them to only talk to Liverpool. Why? Because they are a very big team with a great history and they play in the Champions League. I like the supporters and the stadium and I can't wait to play at Anfield. I know the boss very well from when I was in Spain. He is a coach that brings the maximum level from all of his players and we all want to give 100 per cent for him.

Was it a concern for you that this transfer went right to the final day of the transfer window?

I would have preferred to be here from the first day of the season but it was difficult. Espanyol were asking for a lot of money for me. As well as Liverpool they had interest from other clubs offering more money, but they knew my clear idea was only to come here. They respected my position and accepted the offer.

Up until now people have been asking questions about the lack of width at Liverpool. Is there pressure on you to bring real quality to the left side?

I don't feel pressure. I will continue to play like I did at Espanyol. I will do what the boss wants from me and give my best at all times for the team. I promise to give 100 per cent in every single game and do my best.

Your spell at Manchester City was one of mixed success. Do you feel you have a point to prove to the supporters here at Liverpool?

I feel I am a better player now. I have three years more experience than when I was at Manchester City. Since then I have been a regular in the Espanyol team and played in a UEFA Cup final. I also played for Spain last year. I am still progressing and I am sure I can continue to do that here and help this club win some trophies.

Did you take advice from any of the Spanish players here at Liverpool before deciding to sign?

I talked to some of them. They will help me a lot and I want to help this team get success.

Does the prospect of crossing the ball to Fernando Torres give you a special feeling?

I can't wait to play alongside Fernando. To play with one of the best strikers in the world is perfect for somebody like me who likes to cross the ball. I am sure we will do well together and I hope to create many goals for Fernando and the team.

Rafa Benitez likes to use rotation. Is that something of a concern for you?

I will do my best in every game and I want to play in all of the matches. I want to stay fit and help this team. It's up to the boss whether I will play in every game and I will respect his decision always.

Have you set yourself any personal targets?

Well I can't promise that I'm going to score 20 or 30 goals every season. The only thing I can promise is I will do my best in every game and always give 100 per cent. I hope to show what I can do for the team and help create goals as well as scoring some myself.

No comments: