Saturday, September 06, 2008

Liverpool's Albert Riera Is Keen On Manchester United Repeat

ALBERT RIERA is hoping to repeat his first experience of English football by helping Rafael Benitez finally break his Manchester United hoodoo.

The Spain international left-winger was unveiled at Melwood yesterday after arriving from Espanyol on Monday’s transfer deadline day for an initial £5.5million fee.

Riera is in line for an immediate debut when Liverpool host champions United on Saturday week.

And, having started a loan spell at Manchester City in January 2006 with victory over the Old Trafford outfit, the 26-year-old is eager for a similarly impressive beginning to life at Anfield.

“It would be a dream to start in the same way,” said Riera. “It was maybe the perfect timing for me to go to City, to play in the derby.

“It was fantastic for City to win that game. We won 3-1 that day but we’d have settled for a 1-0, to beat United was great for the fans and the players.

“I know that games against United are very, very important for the supporters at Liverpool, I know how big a game it is in the Premier League. I hope that I can do the same again.”

Benitez has not yet beaten Sir Alex Ferguson’s side in the Premier League in eight previous attempts.

And when told of Riera’s fortunes against United, he said: “I’d like a similar start for sure. If he has that kind of luck, maybe I will always pick him against Manchester United!”

Riera spent six months at Eastlands on loan from Espanyol during the second half of the 2005-06 season, making 19 appearances and scoring one goal.

Benitez, though, is confident Liverpool have bought a player much-improved on the one who appeared for City.

“He has since played in the final of the UEFA Cup and been involved with the international team, and that has given him fantastic experience,” said the manager.

“That shows he is more mature and can manage the pressure better of playing here.

“But the expectations are clearly different here than when he was at City, because we’re trying to win trophies.”

While Liverpool had tracked Riera all summer, the winger attracted higher bids from a number of other clubs, including Everton.

And despite having only closed the deal hours before the transfer deadline, Benitez was always confident the player would arrive at Anfield.

“It wasn’t a big fight to get him here,” said the Liverpool manager. “He was very, very clear from the first day that he wanted to come here. It was easier than people thought. The chairman of Espanyol told him not to worry and that he’d go to Liverpool, and they just needed to sort out the conditions.”

Riera added: “Espanyol knew that I wanted to come to Liverpool. Liverpool made a big effort to get me here so I am very pleased with that.

“It’s true that Espanyol had better offers but they knew I only wanted to come here, I had repeated that 100 times.

“They were fighting for themselves to get a better fee and I was fighting for myself to get the move I wanted.

“That’s normal in football.”

And when asked if former club City’s new-found wealth would have turned his head had it been available earlier in the summer, Riera responded: “No. I was clear from a long time ago that I only wanted to come here.”

No comments: