Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rafa Aiming For Goodison Glory

Rafa Benitez heads into today’s 208th Merseyside derby declaring that his team must win it for the fans.

Liverpool did the double over Everton last season and today's clash at Goodison Park will be the ninth time the Liverpool manager has experienced the unique derby atmosphere.

The Reds boss admits that he enjoys taking on David Moyes' side - but only when his team wins.

"I have very good memories of the derby," says Benitez.

"It is really important for the fans when you beat your rival in the derby, so I was really pleased last season.

"We won with a penalty in the last minute when we played them away last time, so we were happy.

"This one is more difficult because of the rivalry between the fans, but at the end of the day we are talking about just three points. The only difference is that during the week you can see that the fans are really happy you have won."

The Liverpool manager has emerged victorious in six out of the eight derbies he has resided over since coming to Anfield four years ago, and Benitez added he is hungry for more victories.

"If we win, then I will enjoy it very much. But it is a very very difficult game," said Benitez.

"Yesterday I was out walking with my wife and some fans were telling me: 'Come on you have to win.'

"And then an old woman who is a Liverpool fan came up to me and said the same thing. Two minutes later an Evertonian even came up to me and shook my hand. He said: 'I am an Evertonian, but I will shake hands with you.'

"You can see that the passion is always there and the atmosphere has been good this week - it is very positive."

Liverpool's last League game saw them draw 0-0 with Stoke City at Anfield, but Benitez isn't concerned about his side failing to find the net and knows they can bounce back against their old rivals.

"At the end of the day you know that football can be like that," said Benitez. "These things can happen, so the key is to keep attacking and to keep creating chances - then you will score.

"I have some experience of this. When I was at Valencia we once had 41 attempts against Celtic and we won 1-0 with a free kick."

Despite seeing one seemingly valid strike ruled out for offside against Stoke City last week, Benitez has also backed his captain Steven Gerrard to complete his club century against Everton today.

"I think it was a pity last week, but maybe it will happen on Saturday - that will be really important for him and for us," added Benitez.

"I think it will be especially important for him if it happens in the derby."

No comments: