Saturday, September 27, 2008

Carragher Braces Himself For The Goodison Blues After Liverpool Star Criticises Everton In Book


Jamie Carragher is preparing himself for a hotter reception than ever at Goodison Park today after lavishing praise on David Moyes but pouring scorn on Everton's supporters and hierarchy.

The long-serving Liverpool defender joined in the debate over Moyes' uncertain future by hailing him as Everton's best manager for 20 years and describing the 'People's Club' tag he came up with as a 'stroke of genius'.

In his newly-published autobiography Carra, though, he risks an angry backlash at today's lunchtime kick-off by blaming Everton fans for mounting hostility between the rival factions and deriding the Goodison board as 'small-minded' over their spat with Rafa Benitez last season.

An undertone of spite has crept into the derby day atmosphere and Carragher was adamant about Everton's culpability as he explained his admiration for Moyes but contempt for some sections of the club he once idolised.

'Moyes is the person I have respected most at Everton,' he said. 'Without doubt, he is their best manager in 20 years, and the quip about Everton being the People's Club, on the day he took over, was genius. It wound up Liverpudlians but got Evertonians on his side, so fair play. Brilliant stuff.

'That's what it is all about in this city. If you can make your own fans proud of you and get your rivals' backs up at the same time, it's a classic double whammy.

'But when Rafa went for a bit of revenge and called them a small club, after they came to Anfield for a draw, how did they react? They put a statement on their official website, having a go back. How small-time can you get? It was embarrassing. At board level, you should show some dignity and rise above the banter.

'There is an exaggerated perception of how well Liverpool and Everton fans used to get on 20 years ago but, equally, I have noticed a much meaner atmosphere at more recent derbies.

'As someone who has been a Blue and a Red, I feel qualified to say where it all went wrong and I feel the responsibility lies mainly with the way Everton fans reacted to their barren spell. That, plus their treatment of Liverpool players who are my friends as well as teammates.

'It has added a sinister element to the traditional rivalry and led to a complete transformation in my loyalties, to the extent that I now hate losing to Everton more than any other side in the world.

'Hate would be too strong to describe my feelings towards them, but I do hate what their fans sing about Steven Gerrard and his family at every derby. It is personal, vindictive and disgusting and would be unacceptable in any form of life, let alone football.

'All players face flak from opposition fans, but when people start telling lies and repeat them in despicable chants, I am appalled.

'It has become a lot worse over the years and is a big reason why my relationship with Everton has turned sour. When you see your best mates being attacked unjustly, there is no way back.'

Everton's players are also taken to task by Carragher, who added: 'There have been times when I have made a point of biting my lip after a derby to show some respect. 'Our 3-0 defeat at Goodison was a classic example. I had a nightmare and was nowhere near 100 per cent, but when I was quizzed straight after the game, I just said we were beaten fair and square.

'Too often, the same courtesy isn't shown to us by Everton. We always knew Alan Stubbs would have a good cry about something, especially if we had won but, to be fair, he's as Blue as they come. He liked playing to the gallery and we always had a giggle at his expense in the dressing room.

'There are times, though, when I feel they have zero respect for us. While we tiptoe round, making sure we don't cause a furore, many of their former and present players seem to feel they are free to slag us off. It has become a small but annoying sub-plot of every derby.

'A Goodison persecution complex has developed and it's not just the players. There are plenty at Everton who have done their club no favours when talking about Liverpool and you really would expect their hierarchy to be more considered and careful with their remarks.'

Carragher's growing antipathy towards his Mersey rivals is a far cry from his schoolboy days, when he even turned up for five-a-sides at Liverpool's School of Excellence wearing an Everton kit.

'I was only 11, but everyone called me Sharpy because they all knew Graeme Sharp was my hero,' he said. 'I was the biggest Blue in Bootle and no one cheered louder when Michael Thomas scored that last-minute goal at Anfield to make Arsenal champions instead. There was a big "Thank you, Arsenal" scrawled on the wall of a nearby pub and I laughed my head off. 'It's not true I've got an Everton tattoo on my arm, but I was Everton-mad growing up. How times have changed. In my mind, the club I loved in the 80s and the team I see now are poles apart.'

No comments: