Friday, September 19, 2008

Martin Jol: I Wanted Dirk Kuyt For Hamburg

HAMBURG boss Martin Jol has admitted he tried to sign Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt before the transfer window closed.

And speculation in Germany suggests he may try again in January.

The former Tottenham coach was linked with failed bids for Kuyt and Ajax striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar this summer, and admitted: “I would gladly have signed Kuyt and Huntelaar. Who could refuse the opportunity?

“I have no problem that the club was unable to get them. The quality of my attackers is more than enough, although with Huntelaar we would have had a real goal-getter.”

Kuyt is a confirmed admirer of Jol, but insists he is very happy at Anfield and has no desire to move.

“Martin Jol is one of the best Dutch coaches, someone who I want to work with possibly in the future,” he said “But I am happy at Liverpool. My contract still has two more years to run.”

Kuyt has started every match for Liverpool this season and appears to be more valued at Anfield than he is by his national team.

“At Liverpool I now have a strong position. At Liverpool I almost always play,” he said. “So it is hard to swallow when I end up on the bench at the Dutch team.

“At Liverpool I’ve achieved a high level under Rafa Benitez. It is such a high level that I would love to show that level in international matches with the Dutch team.

“I’d rather work my socks off for my club. I am not the kind of guy who starts having a go at the national team boss or at other players. I never show my frustrations in that way.

“I do admit I have spoken out to Marco van Basten when he was national coach.

“But only behind closed doors. Never in public. He told me I was a fair player in that way.

“It’s very simple. I am too good to be on the bench. The World Cup in South Africa will be my last chance in that tournament. Playing for Liverpool will help me get there.”

No comments: