Friday, September 19, 2008

Liverpool Can Challenge For Title, Says Steven Gerrard


Steven Gerrard believes that Liverpool can challenge for the league title this season.

The Merseyside-born midfielder, who is approaching his ten-year anniversary since making his debut for the club, says he is reluctant to raise expectation levels too high but expects the club to be near the top of the table at the end of the campaign.

Liverpool can achieve their best start to a Premier League season if they beat Stoke on Saturday.

"It's easy to get carried away at times, but it's too early to start making any sorts of statements,” Gerrard said.

"I've done it in the past, when I've said we have got a chance in this or that year, only to see us fall short.

"I think we are better equipped to go closer this season, but that's as far as I will go at the moment.

"I don't want to raise anyone's expectations too high in only the second month of the season.

"The plan is to still be in with a chance with five or 10 games to go. We have to be challenging."

Gerrard, who is one goal short of 100 for the club, is keen to add more medals to his collection and says the current Liverpool squad is "a lot stronger" than the one that reached two Champions League finals in recent seasons.

"I often reflect on what I have achieved in the game. I think about it every day and just hope that all those highlights, the trophies, the goals, the great wins and matches, are not the end of it,” Gerrard added.

"I want more of those experiences and memories. They are the best things that have happened to me in football. The joy you get from them is unbelievable.

"So over the next five years or so I want to get more cups under my belt and I am desperate to try to win this league.

"I feel the squad is a lot stronger than last season. There are certainly a lot more match-winners here."

No comments: