Saturday, August 16, 2008

Rafael Benitez Holds Rick Parry Responsible For Gareth Barry Saga

Rafael Benitez has blamed Rick Parry, the Liverpool chief executive, and the club's owners for the protracted Gareth Barry transfer saga.

"I will try to be very clear over the [Barry] situation," Benitez, the Liverpool manager, said. "Everyone has been talking and it seems that the blame is put on me. I get blamed for everything, for global warming to high petrol prices.

"But in this case I want to be very clear. Since I talked to Martin O'Neill about the situation in April, I have not talked to anyone at Aston Villa. All the talks have been between our chief executive Rick Parry, the owner and the chief executive of Aston Villa. And those talks have all been pretty good.

"So if anyone wants to talk about Barry in the future they must talk with the owner, Rick Parry or the chief executive of Aston Villa. And as I have said, those talks I understand have been good.

"I was not involved in the talks about Barry, I was not involved in the talks about [Xabi] Alonso and Arsenal. If you want to talk about these players you must talk to the chief executive of our club who was handling the discussions.

"If you want to talk about players, then you talk to Rick Parry. If you want to talk about football, then you talk with me."

Parry made it clear last weekend that the club were not happy with the £18 million price tag for Barry or length of contract. But Benitez clearly still wants Barry in his team to solve his left-sided problems. "The squad is better but we now have problems on the left because we have lost [John Arne] Riise, [Harry] Kewell and [Sebastian] Leto. We will see what happens in the future with that situation, but clearly our squad is better."

No comments: