Saturday, August 16, 2008

Liverpool Boss Benitez Wanted To Quit Over Gareth Barry Saga

Rafael Benitez had to be talked out of quitting as Liverpool manager last week over the protracted Gareth Barry transfer that is causing a fresh rift with the Anfield hierarchy.

It has emerged the Spaniard decided to resign after being told the club’s American owners would not stump up the £18m to sign Barry from Aston Villa.

After a conversation with close friends, Benitez ultimately stepped back from the brink and vowed to continue in his post.

But the Liverpool manager remains far from happy with what he regards as interference from Tom Hicks and George Gillett over his prolonged pursuit of Barry.

The midfielder was close to finally completing his transfer last week when Liverpool’s owners put the block on the deal after Villa changed their demands over methods of payment.

Chief executive Rick Parry then released a statement over the weekend stating the club considered the asking price as being “too high”, with the Anfield chiefs privately believing there would be little sell-on value for 28-year-old Barry at the end of his proposed four-year contract.

And the Anfield manager, frustrated at being singled out as the reason Barry is not yet at Liverpool, yesterday insisted he was not to blame for a transfer saga that has overshadowed preparations for this evening’s Premier League opener at Sunderland.

“Everybody has been talking and it is clear that I am being blamed for everything: global warming; rises in petrol prices – everything,” said Benitez.

“In this case, I want to be clear: since I talked with Martin O'Neill in April, I haven't talked with anyone else at Aston Villa. All the talks have been between Rick Parry and the owner and chief executive of Aston Villa – and they have been pretty good.

“If someone wants to talk about Barry in the future, they will have to talk to the owner or chief executive of Aston Villa, or Rick Parry. I was not involved in the talks about Barry – I was not involved in the talks about Xabi Alonso and Arsenal.

“I just want to clarify because every time people say ‘oh you were doing this'. I talked to Martin O'Neill in April and after this I was not in charge.

“I talked just with Martin O'Neill. I haven't had any contact with the owner or the chief executive of Aston Villa. I haven't talked with Martin O’Neill since April.

“If you want to talk about players, talk to Rick Parry. If you want to talk about football, then talk to me.”

Benitez is still keen to sign Barry, despite his appearance for Villa in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night that means he would be cup-tied from European competition until the new year.

The Anfield manager acknowledges the need to strengthen the left side of midfield and has been told sufficient funds will be made available – although whether they will be released to sign Barry remains open to question.

“We do have some problems on the left because we have lost John Arne Riise, Harry Kewell and Sebastian Leto,” said Benitez.

“I think we need something on the left but anyway, I will continue to try and improve and progress with the players that I have.

“I want to be clear. I don't have any problem – any problem – with the owners. So I am not talking about anything like this. It's just that I will try to improve the squad.”

While Barry remains the first-choice target, Benitez admits Liverpool are now considering alternatives.

“We have time so we will continue working,” he added. “We have players in mind. I don't think it will be a problem to find players.

“The question is to find the right players for us, the right left-footed players for us. I was in contact with the owners and they told me that we had some money, I think enough to get the player we want. It's not a problem. I feel we can progress.”

No comments: