Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Finnan In Liverpool 'Limbo'


Liverpool defender Steve Finnan admits he is uncertain if he still has a future at Anfield.

Finnan was a regular in his first seasons on Merseyside after being signed by former Reds boss Gerard Houllier from Fulham in 2003.

The Republic of Ireland right-back was a part of the Liverpool side which won the UEFA Champions League in 2005, but he has since fallen behind Alvaro Arbeloa in current manager Rafa Benitez's pecking order.

Switzerland international Philipp Degen's arrival has added to the uncertainty and Finnan has been linked with a cash-plus-player move to Aston Villa in Benitez's summer-long pursuit of Gareth Barry.

And 32-year-old Finnan admits he is waiting to decide on his future, telling Sky Sports News when asked about his situation: "Limbo sounds about right.

"I haven't got a clue, to be honest with you. I haven't played many games recently, so I honestly can't say.

"There is a big squad there and everyone is fighting for their place, and I just have to train well and take the chance if I get it."

Finnan also hinted that he may seek a move away from Liverpool if he continues to fail to force a place in Benitez's first XI.

"I haven't played, but I will just wait and see and when the transfer window closes, we will know then," he added.

"I will wait and see if I can get into the team; if not, then obviously I want to play, so we will just have to take it from there."

Finnan also revealed he has spoken to Benitez about his situation, but was not elaborating.

"We have spoken about it, but at this time, I don't think I will say too much more," he concluded.

No comments: