Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Benitez Insists Hicks Had The Funds To Bring Barry To Liverpool


Rafa Benitez has suggested Liverpool's American owners were split over his £18million pursuit of Gareth Barry.

Despite a recent club statement indicating that Liverpool felt Aston Villa's asking price was too high, Benitez claimed co-owner Tom Hicks had assured him funds were in place.

Liverpool manager Benitez said: 'He told me we had the money. We have sold players for more than £20million during the summer, and he told me: 'If you sell players, you can buy with that, too.'

'I have the support of at least one of the owners. I sent e-mails to all of them, but he was clear we had the money. If the manager has an idea, and it is not a question of money, we have to make the right decision in terms of who we bring in. That has to be the decision of the manager.

'We have to be quicker as well. I thought this four years ago, and I think it now. If you are quicker, it is easier to sign targets.'

Liverpool are still trying to off-load Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Voronin.

No comments: