Monday, June 23, 2008

Xabi Alonso Fuels Speculation Of Move To Italy


Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso has spoken of his “fascination” with Italian football as speculation over his mooted transfer to Juventus continues apace.

The Liverpool playmaker is part of the Spain squad preparing to face Italy in the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 on Sunday, a match during which Alonso could come face to face with a number of future team-mates at the Bianconeri.

But the 26-year-old couched his enthusiasm for the Italian game by insisting that his transfer from Anfield is still far from a done deal with his focus still solely on Spain’s European campaign.

“I am very calm,” Alonso told Sky Italia.

“I have little to say about Juve because at the moment I am very focused on Euro 2008 and on Spain.

“I don’t have any news on my future, at this time my future is only the Euros.

“We’ll see what will happen with Juve. It’s difficult to say today. I spent four fantastic years at Liverpool, but I have to admit that I have always been fascinated by Italian football.

“However, it’s too soon to talk about the future. In short: we’ll see.”

He added: “Juve are one of the biggest teams in Europe, perhaps the biggest in Italy. They have very many fans not only in Italy but all over the world.

“They have champions of the quality of Buffon, Nedved, and Del Piero who together have achieved great success.

“They’re a team who want to get back to winning the Scudetto and who also want to compete in the Champions League. In short: a great club.”

No comments: