Thursday, June 19, 2008

Taylor Explains Liverpool Snub

Maik Taylor has revealed why he knocked back the advances of Liverpool in order to stay in the Championship with newly-relegated Birmingham City.

Liverpool's shock swoop for Maik Taylor has been rebuffed by the player, with the veteran re-signing with relegated Birmingham till 2010.

Rafa Benitez wanted the 36-year-old Northern Ireland international as cover for Pepe Reina and hoped experienced Taylor would move back to the Premiership in a Bosman deal.

However, Taylor has revealed that first-team football, his settled family and good relationship with Blues boss Alex McLeish prompted him to resist the Red' "flattering" advances.

Taylor told the Birmingham Mail: "With an offer on the table from the club, it was always going to be the case that I would stay really.

"It was flattering that Liverpool showed a lot of interest and of course I gave it some serious consideration.

"Liverpool could offer the Champions League and everything else, but it would have been a situation as a No.2 - a year’s contract as well.

"Scott Carson has gone back there now. There was talk of him going to Villa after his loan, but that has not materialized.

"I still have a big desire to play and, as long as I keep my form and fitness, that’s more likely here.

"I enjoy playing for Birmingham and although obviously it was tremendously disappointing to get relegated, I am really optimistic about the future and looking forward to the new season.

"I was really pleased with the way the manager and [goalkeeping coach] Dave Watson were with me. Straight after our last game against Blackburn Rovers, they said they wanted to offer me a new deal"

Taylor added that his family was "really settled" in the area and that Everton and Stoke City had also made enquiries about his availability.

No comments: