Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Skrtel Has Found His Mersey Paradise

Martin Skrtel claims he is loving life in Liverpool – even though there is no escape from Kopites in the city.

The Slovak international arrived at Anfield from Russian side Zenit in January and has since proved a massive hit with the Kop.

Skrtel insists the feeling is most definitely mutual.

"I think because of the skinhead and my accent I am not too hard to pick out on the street," the centre-back told LFC Magazine.

"From the bits of conversation I understand between us then I have to say that they have been amazing to me.

"I have signed more autographs since touching down in Merseyside than in the rest of my professional career. But, for the support I have had individually, and that we get as a team, signing some autographs is not a problem."

Skrtel's popularity is in no small part down to his no-nonsense brand of defending, a style which saw him start 20 Liverpool games in less than five months.

He added: "That's just the way I play. I am a defender and sometimes that means you have to put your body on the line to prevent an opposition player scoring a goal.

"I like tackling. It is one of my main strengths. And yeah, I can hear the supporters cheering and getting excited when I go in for a 50/50 challenge. It's beautiful to me to hear that the Liverpool fans appreciate what I do.

"It means a lot to me because these are early days in my Anfield career. To know that I have made an impact is pleasing because I am in a new country and playing a new style of football.

"The English style suits me very well. I enjoy physical battles with forwards and I have had plenty of those in England so far. I am sure over the course of my stay here in Liverpool, which I hope will be a long one, I will have many more.

"Every game in this country is tough; there is no such thing as an easy game in the Premier League."

No comments: