Monday, June 02, 2008

Gerrard: I'll Play Anywhere For England

Steven Gerrard has admitted he is happy to adapt to playing in different positions across midfield for both club and country.

Under Fabio Capello's management with England, the Reds skipper has been utilised in several different roles. Even though central midfield is his preferred and most natural position, Gerrard said he will play anywhere to suit the team.

"That is not a concern," he added. "It is something I am quite used to at club level. I feel as if I am mature enough and experienced enough to adapt to different roles.

"You know my favourite role. I don't have to go on record and say it again.

"But, as long as I am in that starting XI and part of this England team, because I believe we will improve to get to where we want to get, I don't mind where I play.

"I think football has changed. In this day and age you can't afford to be selfish and think about yourself and spit your dummy out of the pram if you are not in your favourite position.

"You have got to adapt and be a team player and that's what I think I am. I have mentally accepted that - about six years ago."

The Liverpool captain also added he is enjoying the experience of playing under Capello for England, and said the former Real Madrid boss expects every player to perform to their highest level.

"Every single player has got things to prove personally and also as a team," said Gerrard. "We have under-achieved. All the staff are scrutinising us and looking at our strengths and weaknesses.

"Every time we train and every time there is an opportunity to meet up and play these games, you've got come to try and impress to stay involved.

"I am sure this manager will be ruthless if you don't meet the standards he wants. It is as simple as that.

"Training has been intense and, if you don't play the way Mr Capello wants you to play, or buy into his system, then I think it's 'goodbye' for you.

"The lads are learning how the manager wants us to play and how he wants the team set-up and he is also telling people individually what he expects from them."

Gerrard played the full 90 minutes in England's friendly 3-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday night and Peter Crouch joined him for the second half.

No comments: