Monday, June 02, 2008

Crouch Ponders Anfield Exit

Liverpool striker Peter Crouch has admitted that his future may lie elsewhere as he pursues regular first-team football.

Though his goal-to-game ratio for England and Liverpool is impressive, the 27-year old continually found himself out-of-favour at Anfield and was handed just nine starts in the league last season.

Crouch’s former club of Portsmouth, along with Manchester City, have been linked with a move for the six-foot seven-inch striker this summer, with both clubs able to offer more certainties with regards to his place within the starting eleven.

With one eye on his place in Fabio Capello’s international set-up, Crouch met with Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez to clarify his position.

"I have spoken to Rafa. I have to play more games if I want to stay in the England set-up," he told the Daily Star Sunday.

"I didn't play enough last season, that's for sure. I need to play more at club level to be able to play at international level. You have got to be noticed.

"I need to play more games. I didn't get enough and it's something I have to look out for, for next season."

Should The Reds decide to move the forward on in the coming weeks, they are likely to request a fee of around £12 million.

No comments: