Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Yossi: I'm No Luis Garcia


Yossi Benayoun has dismissed comparisons between he and former Liverpool winger Luis Garcia.

The Israeli playmaker, purchased from West Ham for ₤4 million last summer, was seen by many as the ideal replacement for Garcia, who left Merseyside to return to his former club Atletico Madrid.

Benayoun faced a tough task filling the void left by the Spaniard’s departure, given Garcia’s immense popularity among the Liverpool supporters earned through some inspirational performances during his four seasons at the club.

It was Garcia's efforts in Europe that cemented him as a Kop favourite, particularly his vital goals against Juventus and Chelsea on the way to their Champions League success in 2005.

A Benayoun goal at Stamford Bridge this week would go some way toward fulfilling expectations, but he insists he is keen to fashion his own identity within the club rather than compete with Garcia’s legacy.

"I know that Luis is a very good player who also scored a lot of important goals for Liverpool," Benayoun told LFC Magazine. "He did very well for the club but I am a different player.

"I am lucky that I have also scored quite a few goals this season but I wouldn't like to say that I have come in to replace Luis and the job that he did for Liverpool.

"I just try to do my best. I am not in a competition to try and score more goals than Luis or anyone else.

"I just try to think about my own game and do what is best for the team."

No comments: