Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Crouch: I Hope To Play Against Chelsea


Liverpool striker Peter Crouch is determined to win a starting place for his side's second leg Champions League semi-final clash at Chelsea.

Crouch has been out of favour for large parts of the season, and in recent weeks he has begun deputising in league games - where Liverpool have safely sealed fourth place - but sitting out all but one Champions League fixture.

When played in the league has scored consistently, and he is hopeful of winning over manager Rafa Benitez and earning himself a place in the starting eleven for Wednesday's game, particularly as the Reds will need to score at least once in Stamford Bridge to progress to the final, after succumbing to a 1-1 draw at home last week.

"Of course I'm hopeful," he said of his chances of starting. "You never know with the manager, he could change things or maybe he will stick with the same team.

"But I am hopeful. I think I've played reasonably well against Birmingham and it would be great if that was enough to keep me in."

Crouch scored the first of his side's two comeback goals at St Andrews on Saturday, which saw them salvage a 2-2 draw after the relegation strugglers took a shock lead.

Though it was Yossi Benayoun who scored the other, Man of the Match plaudits went to Jermaine Pennant who, for the second game running, has proven himself as a valuable creative force for the Reds.

Jermaine Pennant was excellent, absolutely fantastic," enthused Crouch. "Every time he got the ball he created something.

"It makes a centre forward's job much easier when the likes of Jermaine is playing so well because you know he his going to get at the full back and invariably get his cross in.

"That's what I love. It's great when wingers do that.

"I was really pleased to score because it got us back into the game and from that point on we took control and fully deserved the equaliser at the very least."

"Whenever I do play I always feel confident that I will get a goal and thankfully that proved to be the case against Birmingham."

No comments: